Re: OT: Labeling Millions of People

unfortunately from what I've gathered one of the severe problems with American politics generally is that most people don't tend to listen to either side's actual proposals, and of course a lot of the campaign tactics are based purely on appealing to emotional gestures, either in flinging mud at the opponent or saying the right stuff in big and showy ways.
this isn't to say such things don't happen in Britain, british politics is definitely it's own beast, however there is far less of big money behind it and far more of  wheeling and dealing and the general cricket match of parliament which has only a tangential reference to what the people of Britain actually want or even what a given political party's actual idiology is (it is quite amusing that the so called labour party are responsable for privatising most of Britain's public services).

Getting back to the Trump/clinton thing As I said, my inlaws trump support rather&nb sp; scared me just because it is fairly clear they would support a walrus if it was republican and had enough of the right words behind it.

Lots of people, my wife included tend to have a similar attitude to nocturnus, that Trump and clinton is essentially the choice between the devil and the deep blue sea as the saying goes.
I know several people who believe Trump will be the lesser of evils because basically he'll just make himself and the rest of the rich richer, bwhich is bad, but nothing new, where as Clinton has scary foreign policy. I honestly don't know, but the fact that most people's attitudes don't seem to be based on who they want but either who they don't! want to get in, or that they want someone just because they belong to a given party and set of idiological soundbites just seems extremely wrong to me, particularly given the lobbying and use of money for supporting a campaign.

I can say though given some of the comme nts and so called debates I heard while in pensylvania,  like my lady I'm fairly glad we're now out of the states and will be for the election.