Re: I miss Hearthstone...any replacement?

@Smoothgunner:

You also have to be careful not to interpret high accessibility adjustment as low demand. The main reason Fallen Worlds and it's varients never caught on was because it took so much fiddling with your screen reader to get set up and use properly. Dedicated card players loved that game, but others would rather just have a game they can pick up and play without any adjustment or trying to figure out the layout. You can see this in how massively the Crazy Party TCG element has caught on.

Others don't just want text, they want full sound and animations. This is why most muds never really catch on in the audiogames community long term or things like Project Yugioh.

I see a lot of this where the japanese games are concerned. Even now, where it only takes one other translation utility, most people would rather just have a professional translation done (even though it'll never happen for most of the games)than play some games we don't h ave available in english. It has nothing to do with low demand for RPGs, it has to do with too much setup no matter how easy it seems. In this case, some also feel threatened by the slightly scrambled nature of the translations.

I agree, the English market is a bit crippled in terms of genres. You can find some branching out in the japanese and other forign language games but there still are some genres that aren't completely covered. For example, there's only one action RPG, though BK can count as an action RPG if you count a side scroller with RPG elements. There's only one tactical RPG, Brave of Cloudia, though Tactical Battle comes close with some of it's elements. It just doesn't have a playable storyline and the like beyond whatever text authors decide to include in campaigns and tends to work a little differently than something like Final Fantasy Tactics.

I can't quite agree with your sentiment that if a developer comes out with a gam e, we should all just play it. I for one am not interested in just having games for the sake of having games. For the most part, I am an RPG fan with ocasional forrays into the TCG genre. So you aren't going to see me pick up and play flight simulators, train simulators, fishing games, racing games, word puzzles, card games like poker or fighting games just because quote, they exist and we might lose the developer if we don't. I don't even think it'd be fair for me to play a game I wasn't interested in as I wouldn't be able to give balanced feedback to the developer.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Caccio72 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Caccio72 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Caccio72 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Caccio72 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Caccio72 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Caccio72 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : death via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : david_solomon1 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Zersiax via Audiogames-reflector