Re: I feel like college is changing my friend

Dark, no attack perceived at all. You're right that the idea of norms is probably where you and I differ—I see Scripture as normative, you seem to see human experience and reason as normative. That's essentially the difference between what would usually be termed "conservative" and "liberal" theology and accounts for why there's such a wide spectrum of ideas between the two. Personally, I am convinced that the Bible, while written through unique authors with unique perspectives, is also the direct result of God's sovereignty and represents His infallible revelation. I tend to differ with some of my more conservative brothers about how exactly we interpret what that means, as far as case-by-case interpretation of different texts, because again there's a very wide range of positions on these things. But ultimately it is Scripture, interpreted as consistently and carefully as possible, that I use as the norm which constrains the rest of my theology. Everybody has to have some sort of starting point—the Word is mine. But I understand that someone who has a different starting point will inevitably come to different conclusions.

Oh, and I agree whole-heartedly that the existence of God cannot be proven logically, and must be experienced personally. How we understand and interpret that experience is the question.

(Hooray for continued, civil discourse about religion. Is this the first time this has ever happened on the internet?!)

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Joseph Westhouse via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Joseph Westhouse via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Joseph Westhouse via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Joseph Westhouse via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Trajectory via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : DracoSelene89 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : quanin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Trajectory via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Trajectory via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Andy93 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Andy93 via Audiogames-reflector