Re: Rubik's Touch cube speed record

Yeah, when the top layer is complete, you have the smooth face finished, with the top row of the side pieces all matching the immovable centre pieces. The side patterns at this point are sometimes referred to as T shapes. Though I'm never sure how useful phrases like T shapes and plus signs are to people who may never have had sight.
You're right about the guides. Even though I already knew what it was trying to tell me regarding the first two layers because I'd done it before, I still found it horribly confusing. Like you said, they should finish any explaination with a good description of how the cube should look at that point. Though to be fair, it's not a very easy thing to describe using words alone.