Re: Developer questions for you all

malachi1616 wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm new here, and not visually impaired. I enjoy making text games and have recently been introduced to your community and have been enjoying updating my games to be more accessible. I have a few questions for you all to help guide my development efforts and hopefully make my existing and future games more enjoyable and accessible. First off, if you aren't familiar with my work already, there is a thread going on in the new releases board for my game Infini-Crawl. Heres a link

So a few questions, if you don't mind:

First off, do you mostly play games that have audio built in, or games that require a screen reader? In other words, is it preferable to you to be able to turn off the screen reader and have the game speak to you? or is it all the same to you because you usually have your screen reader on anyway?

When you're playing browser games, what browser do you typically use?

Which OS are you usually using for games (windows, mac, iphone, android, etc)?

Do you prefer browser based games, or games you have to download and install?

Are you using NVDA, or do you use Jaws or something else? If you use something other than NVDA, what features do you use with your screen reader that justify the expense? Do these features help with gaming?

If you could have one type of game converted over to a completely accessible game, what would it be? In other words, what type of games do you feel the VI community needs to have that they don't right now?

Lastly, and don't feel like you need to answer this one if you're not comfortable, but, what is your level of visual impairment? Do certain features in screen readers and/or games not matter to you because you have partial vision?

Hi. I've been playing InfiniCrawl and love it. My answers to some of these questions might be a little different since I have other disabilities along with blindness.
I play both games that use the screen reader and ones with their own audio. I don't really have a preference.
When playing browser games, I use Chrome most of the time but will use Firefox if I find that a game works better with it.
As for the OS I use, I use Windows 10 and Android.
I don't have a preference between browser games and ones I have to download and install.
I use NVDA on Windows 10 and TalkBack on Android.
For games I would like to see, I wish there were more puzzle games like ones where you have to match different tiles or blocks. I used to have some vision and loved that kind of game. I'm totally blind, with no vision at all.
Here's where my perspective might be a little different. Along with my blindness, I'm autistic and have several chronic illnesses. Because of these, I deal with something called sensory overload. It's easy for me to get overstimulated. I also have trouble with spatial skills, or knowing where things, real or virtual, are in relation to my body or my character in a game. Because of this, there are lots of audiogames I can't play, like ones that use different sounds rather than text or speech. If there are too many sounds that mean different things playing, I can't process all of them and what they mean, so I get overstimulated, anxious, and frustrated. Also, if the game uses sounds coming from different directions, it can be hard for me to tell where the sound is coming from, which makes movement in the game difficult. I'll often end up running my character into walls or other objects because I didn't understand that a sound I was hearing was supposed to tell me there was something there, or I couldn't tell what direction the sound came from. Because of this, I usually prefer games with mostly text or only a few sounds. I tend not to like games where I have to depend on sounds for a lot of things.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : malachi1616 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : manamon_player via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : death via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : tayo . bethel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : audiogamer500 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : LivingForGod1991 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Karlitos via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Arkandias via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : karate25 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : LivingForGod1991 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : malachi1616 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Garr via Audiogames-reflector