Re: a code behind the bible

Bladestorm360, thanks for sharing your conversion story with us. It is interesting although not entirely uncommon. What I mean by that is a lot of new converts claim to have been having real serious problems in their life, they convert to Christianity, and suddenly everything begins changing for the better. There are of course two ways to view those situations, as  everything else in life, and the one thing we do agree upon here is that God can't really be run through the logic process. Trying to apply logic to God is a bit like trying to catch smoke with your hands. You can't just hold onto it because there is nothing solid to hold on to.

All the same as a skeptic I do have a hypothesis as to why so many people experience real change after their conversions. It is not that I personally believe in any personal god, but I think that the belief or faith in a personal god allows people to have courage that they might not have, causes a radical change in their thi nking, etc that allows them to go above and beyond what they might be able to do without that personal belief. It is beyond dispute that many Christians have done some amazing things such as during the protestant reformation they sang while being burned at the stake for heresy, or have dared to do things like run into a burning building to rescue someone they didn't know. For Christians such acts of courage and fortitude is evidence of the holy spirit, but for a skeptic like me I think that their unquestioning faith, their belief in something greater than themselves, which gives them that courage and fortitude. In short, I believe it is just a change in the person's state of mind that allows them to do things they could not or would not do before more than any supernatural force.

As far as Revelation and the Left Behind series goes I disagree with the interpretation of the end times as portrayed by the Left Behind books. Although I am not a Christian now I use to be when growing up, and my family and I did not agree with the pre-trib rapture doctrine at all. For one thing it didn't make any logical sense then, and as a skeptic even less so now. I found myself laughing at the Left Behind books, because in the first book after the rapture of the church everyone is running around wondering where everyone went like, "where did they go, George?" The ironic thing is after the Left Behind books, movies, and other media about the rapture one would think most people would be at least familiar with the concept and if nearly two billion people disappear, all of them Christian, the conclusion would be obvious. Yet, according to the Left Behind books it is all suppose to be some big mystery which I don't think is at all realistic from a theological or practical point of view.

Besides there is something more than a little disturbing to think that Jesus would come back secretly and rapture away all the Christians leaving everyone els e to their own devices. So if the pilots of a commercial jet are both Christian we are to believe Jesus will just rapture them away and let the jet crash killing x number of passengers just because they didn't convert yet? If x number of people in a car are going down the road and the driver is a Christian Jesus will take that person and let everyone else in the car possibly die because the car went off the road hit a telephone poll, go off a bridge, or have a head on collision with another vehicle?

I think you see the point. The pre-trib rapture is absurd, and if Jesus would allow such things to happen I certainly would not consider him worthy of my worship. He would be lower than scum, and not be the all loving, all caring, deity I was raised to worship growing up.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BryanP via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : tward via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BryanP via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : tward via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : nin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bladestorm360 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bladestorm360 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : tward via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : kamochek via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bladestorm360 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : arqmeister via Audiogames-reflector