Re: Sandbox MUD

If you're modelling things such that even exits are objects, expect scaling issues even for muds, primarily around memory usage but also potentially CPU as well if you push that viewpoint far enough.

My first thought is that I'm not sure what the point is, given that a million moo cores do everything you're saying this does and then some.  I think that you'll find that this community won't be overly interested, as it sounds like whatever needs you have are very specific to whatever it is you're hoping to build.  Those of us who are advanced enough to want something besides Moo don't typically want to create content in the game like that because it's not a scalable design, and not having the ability to roll back as you can with a git repo, or to merge, or etc. all quickly become massive issues.  I'm sure anyone who's played moos for any significant length of time has been around for at least one "oops, we broke it and can't roll back, excuse us while we patch it live" story.  I'm not really sure what original problem this is supposed to be solving.  I'm not saying there isn't one, just that you haven't told us what it is.

You need to be careful if you're going to expose an actual non-custom scripting language to untrusted users.  Sandboxing the language is fine, but you can't implement cooperative scheduling on top of it and a one thread per running script design will fall over quickly, which means that you can't bound execution time.  A malicious  player just has to while(1) and then the server goes down.  The only thing I know of offhand that deals with this that isn't a custom language built for it is lua, but that comes with the big caveat that you're actually bounding vm instructions and not time and there are still plenty of ways for someone to DOS it by just executing VM instructions that hammer the APIs you've provided to the script in ways that will block.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jjaquinta via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jjaquinta via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jjaquinta via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Dragonlee via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jjaquinta via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : rings2006 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jjaquinta via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jjaquinta via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : moaddye via Audiogames-reflector