Re: Sandbox MUD

as a developer I definitely have gotten used to using a versioning system like git as a safety net. the fact I can make experimental changes stress free, knowing I can get back to a sane version of my project with a single "git restore ."

but maybe some basic versioning wouldn't be too difficult to implement. and as long as areas could be sequestered in a way that version histories would be seperate, then it could work in that regard.

From reading about your ideas on handling input, output, and discoverability, I think you might have spent a little too much time in Alexa land. Alexa as a platform is probably the most limiting there is for games, even when compared to MUDs. I think you will find that a lot of the considerations for input and output that you have to deal with to make a game on Alexa bearable, don't apply once you are in a less limiting context.

for input, since user is typing instead of having their voice interpreted by a machine, the sort of auto correction isn't necessary. what you can do in the text game scenario is to just include various synonyms for vairous commands, which is commonplace. also possibly if the command isn't recognized, then game would give them a couple of commands that are close (if any).

in terms of output, the biggest problem with MUDs for VI gamers, is the inclusion of ASCII art, which is more a problem with game design than the engine itself. as for things that sound similar, I figure out which one is meant from the context and if I can't then I just spell it out. once you aren't in Alexa land and have a full-powered screen reader, then that kind of stuff isn't a concern.

discoverability is an interesting topic. I think there could be improvements to how that is achieved. generally, I think a good tutorial at the beginning of the game is the best thing. particularly introducing controls gradually, as they become relevant and the player has had some time to digest the other controls introduced so far. all non-audiogames do this and it is very effective and enjoyable way to learn the controls, but for whatever reason, audiogames still tend to just have you read a long doc explaining all the controls before playing, which really doesn't make for a great experience.

so, for me overall I think poor player experience in MUDs is mostly due to poor game design rather than the engine the MUD is built on not having enough features.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jjaquinta via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jjaquinta via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jjaquinta via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Dragonlee via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jjaquinta via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : rings2006 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jjaquinta via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jjaquinta via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : moaddye via Audiogames-reflector