Re: List of Ways to Make AudioGames

Pick any programming language with an audio library and it will be about equal to any other, as long as it's not one of the niche ones.  Avoid C/C++ unless you've been doing them for years; avoid Rust if you're a new programmer.  If you're an experienced programmer there's no point bothering to follow the community here: at my level Lucia and Earwax are one weekend, for example, and at last check Lucia's sound pool was so broken that it was worse than not using one.  But if you look at Pyglet or Pygame or whatever else and go "I don't know how to write an event loop" maybe they're for you.

There's really no point making this list.  The DB has almost a thousand games and audiogames go back to something like 2000.  Pick a language and someone somewhere has probably used it.  There is this persistent idea that audiogames need special audiogame tech.  Anything that sighted gamers use that doesn't force you to opt into tooling works fine.

Sable isn't going to matter, if it ever even gets released.  It's not a way to make games.  It's a way to make exactly the one kind of game it supports with different labels on stuff (e.g. mage is now cyborg or whatever).  And it's BGT so you'll be flagged as a virus, unless they've worked out a way around that.

I don't personally like Go at the moment, but they're possibly going to be adding generics in the fall and if they do that my opinion will likely change.  Talking about why the lack of generics is a problem is perhaps outside the scope of this thread, but it makes game stuff much more difficult than it otherwise would be, and their workarounds for not having it manage to be worse than not having types at all in some cases.

My MMO engine will be Rust with some C++.  At the moment expect to see something to show from that sometime winter 2021 (the curse of a programming job is when Saturday comes around you're often all programmed out).  But as I said to a friend yesterday, my new theory on why Rust generally has high quality projects is that it's a complicated enough language that it probably keeps all the new programmers away, so grain of salt if you go down that road.  It's got good gaming libraries in the sighted sense, for example bevy, and Synthizer bindings that I will probably take over officially near 1.0 (Hi, Nolan, if you're reading this; I'll talk to you about that in a month or two. We're almost at the end).  But you have to pivot everything you know about programming away from object-oriented programming and other traditional approaches, and don't even have globals really (well: you do, but doing them requires knowing a lot of the language, because long list of reasons).

When cae_jones was active (or however it's spelled) he used Java.  Entombed is C#.  Swamp is vb6, but you shouldn't use vb6 because you can't even get the devtools from official sources anymore, and as far as I know it only got used because Aprone already knew it.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : mohamed via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : mohamed via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : mohamed via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sightlessgamer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sightlessgamer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Dragonlee via Audiogames-reflector