Re: dumb warnings?

LOL! Your incredulity is a little frightening in itself, enes. Aren't you concerned for the poor people who might try anything listed there? Of course it's all very amusing, but the instructions are there because we have a responsibility to design safe products, and although we can't possibly prevent every hazard in the design of the product itself, we are also somewhat obligated to try to prevent others from making those same mistakes if we know there's a possibility of it.

I think this comes down to the question of what could be reasonably expected. If a person could reasonably be expected to suffer some consequence, then as Dark and CX2 above suggested, I think the ideal situation is one where a lawsuit is clearly impossible. That is sadly still too often not recognised in English courts because there are still established interests preventing us from going forward, though from my understanding of the US legal system it's a good deal worse over there. Whereas, if the manufacturer of a product is positioned to advise against some hapless act, however it is conceived or for whatever reason it is undertaken by some poor creature, it should be noted as a safety precaution. This is really no different from warnings on exam papers telling you how to mark them correctly; it's purely "For the avoidance of doubt".

All this incidentally from someone who nearly lost his hand in an unprotected air conditioning system. The people designing that product didn't give a crap about safety, clearly …