Aylwin Wrote: 
> To my ears, the analog outputs of the SB2 can't compare to its digital
> output + external DAC.  To me, the difference is very significant and
> doesn't even require blind testing.  In my opinion, for the SB2 to be
> in a high end setup, an external DAC is a must.  *Others will probably
> disagree but this subjective anyway.  Everyone has different equipment,
> listening environments, preferences, and ears.*-[Bold Added]-
I hope no one jumps to the conclusion that the SB2's internal DAC is
unacceptable.  Although my office system is far less impressive than my
main system in my listening room, it's still arguably a "high end setup"
(Naim NAC102 pre-amp, MyNAPSC and Naim SNAPS2 (dual-railed) power
supplies, Naim NAP110 power-amp, and Royd Merlin speakers).  I listen
in a "nearfield" configuration, and it's very revealing!

My standards are quite demanding, yet I've been very impressed with the
SB2's internal DAC.  In fact, some of the external DACs that I used were
no better.  One was the DAC in my Roland VS-880 home studio, another was
the M-Audio Delta 410 card in my studio PC, and the best was the the
Scott Nixon Chibi Saru.  Only the Chibi Saru was able to exceed the
SB2, but that required an impressive external power supply for the
Chibi Saru.  With a lesser supply, it was below the SB2.

The one DAC that I've tried that is very obviously better is the
Benchmark DAC1.

The moral of the story here is don't assume that you MUST have an
external DAC to appreciate the SB2 in an "audiophile" system.  You
might save yourself a bit of money.

BTW, the SB-1-'s internal DAC sounds like crap!  Nuff said!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-


-- 
Mike Hanson
_______________________________________________
audiophiles mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/audiophiles

Reply via email to