>>What model are you suggesting?

I'm not suggesting or recommending a specific model. There are in fact
many contenders depending on one's taste.  I own an example, but there
are many more to be found.  My point was that you don't have to spend a
grand on a DAC to get a decent one.

The DAC's I own are built by an engineer in Taiwan who builds under the
label MHDT labs and sells via ebay.  He builds non-oversampling DACs
based on the 1543 and the 1545 chips.

I own both the "Digital Dialogue II" and the "Digital Renaissance"
which is similar, but has a pencil tube in the output section.

Dialogue II: http://tinyurl.com/b5l88

It doesn't look like he has any Renaissance DAC's on sale now, but he
has added other models to his lineup.

>>And how do you compare it to the built in DAC in the SB3?

wrt to the DAC the diff would be: Non-oversampling vs. oversampling.

wrt to the difference in sound, I have not made a critical comparison.
Right now I use the analog outputs from the sb3 in my room to feed a
cheap 100wpc Pioneer receiver into Alesis Monitor Twos. I use the
digital output into the Dialogue II and then into a Singlepower PPX3
into Senn HD600's. The headphone rig sounds wonderful.

There are other regarded DAC's in the price range.

Long list of DACs:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=139906

(mhdt dac, moodlab dac)
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=140074