andy_c wrote:
> Wow, the measurements of that DAC really suck!  A bargain at $15,470! :D

To JA's credit he really bash the product but probably holds back a bit
due to comercial concerns . The truth is any supermarket 50$ DVD player
outperforms it even the revised performance with the other sample .
So actually stereophile is doing well pointing out that it does suck .

It's a lovely piece of kit in that I higligths so many wrongs at the
same time . Let's mention just a few of them .

What kind of cargo cult delusion went trough the designers head ? analog
absolute phase switch ? And that probably just the beginning of all
flawed designed deciosn made .

This points out the necessity of measurments in hifi reviews . High end
brands can make very weird stuff that needs to be singled out and more
normal brands can make honesty mistakes .

Let's measure an audio note DAC voodoo design galore:P and also some
modern home theater amp the complex functionality of those makes
mistakes likly software bugs etc .

It's also interesting to see how the subjective review fails and the
necessity to improve these . The listening sessions must improve and be
blinded somehow , but an open part is needed to asses look and feel and
functionality .
Blind part can be weeks it does not need to be 30 second snippets , just
saying .

It's also tells how hard it's is to do and how high the human hearing
treshold really are , the performance is abysmal but they still can
listen to it . Tells something on how random a subjective review would
be on a well performing product where all artefacts are below human
hearing tresholds.......

And the audiophile culture that embraces such products stratospheric
price tags steampunk design esthetics some mystics and smoke and mirrors
then nano seconds of jitter is just fine :D whereas such a thing is a
liability in other more normal products , it's completely irrational ?

These kind of products is a large part of the ad revenue ? For more fun
follow some of the ads on the website ?
Of the adds where more normal no audioquest or similar the editorial
policies would more possible to actually enforce and be somewhat in the
interest of all parties . The will ofcourse still be conflicts of
interest .

And a normal hifi brand would be probaly be more able to suck up a bad
review if they trusted the magazine , but as it is now when any garbage
can be praised and good products gets doomed by the " God for its price
" moniker ( remeber it's must be expensive to be high end :P ) .

Is seems like audimagazines have resorted to never give bad reviews or
so subjective ones that no reader can really make any assumptions and
then scoop in the ad revenue .

It does not have to be a direct conspiracy an indirect way makes it even
better. Magizine makes random harmless articles on very posh and
expensive stuff and ad department sells ads to brands accommodating to
that market .
Brand x does not have to buy a good review ! Magizes just have to
nurture a culture of wideyed gullible marks that willingly accepts this
culture and it's values .

But I'm very suspicious of the direct product recommendations some
British hifi rags do ? Hmm .

But this makes very bad consumer oriented journalism , no reader gets
any help to actually further his/hers interst in Audio and HiFi . You
don't get any more knowledgeable in the science on how audio really
works or any solid product advice .

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )