Mnyb wrote:
> Objektive characterisation of loudspeakers . Sean Olive of Harman
> International had an article about it years ago .
>
> They claim to have some sort of method involving many different
> measurments a staggering undertaking if i remember there where dossens
> of them .
>
> For from small signal electronics, preamps DAC’s whatever where noise
> and distortion is diminishingly small magnitudes below our threshold of
> hearing .
> Making subjective reviews even more pointless as you actually describe
> the source material flowery terms with all kinds of cocnetive bias .

I believe Toole & Olive do the "spinorama" measurements to get a sense
of off-axis response for speakers. Alas, I have no access to the usual
Google / YouTube information today, but Audioholics talk about it:
http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/loudspeaker-myths-and-truths/loudspeaker-myths-anechoic-chambers

I know Toole has a video that goes into good depth.

Yes, once we get into the realm of competent DACs, the differences are
so microscopic compared to loudspeakers that it is a waste of time with
subjective myth-making.

I suppose there is some entertainment value in record recommendations
and subjective comments on quality of workmanship, ergonomics, and
apparent reliability (notice how frequently reviews like -Stereophile
-seem to have issues with faulty gear!). Beyond that, I agree, there is
no value in much of the subjective reviews out there when it comes to
adjudicating sound quality.

I think what is fascinating is how seriously the subjective reviewers
take themselves and their opinions.

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.