Hello Alexander,

Alexander Krause:
> mount /dev/sda1 /boot
>
> #create aufs branch
> mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /aufs_dynamic
> mount -t aufs -o br:/aufs_dynamic/=3Drw none /aufs_vertex
>
> #add overlay partition
> mkdir -p /aufs_vertex/mnt/aufs/overlay
> mount /dev/sda2 /aufs_vertex/mnt/aufs/overlay -o rw
> mount -o remount,append: /aufs_vertex/mnt/aufs/overlay=3Drw /aufs_vertex
>
> #add loop-image
> mkdir -p /aufs_vertex/mnt/aufs/images/10-desktop.squash/
> mount /boot/images/10-desktop.squash /aufs_vertex/mnt/aufs/images/10-
> desktop.squash/ -o loop
>
> mount -o remount,append:/aufs_vertex/mnt/aufs/images/10-desktop.squash/=3Dr=
> r =
>
> /aufs_vertex

So you have 3 branches in your /aufs_vertex.
- /aufs_dynamic, rw, tmpfs
- /aufs_vertex/mnt/aufs/overlay, rw, ??
- /aufs_vertex/mnt/aufs/images/10-desktop.squash, rr, squashfs

If you can, please try again without /aufs_vertex/mnt/aufs/overlay, eg.
/aufs_vertex = /aufs_dynamic(rw,tmpfs) + /.../10-desktop.squash(rr,squashfs)

And run several commands and any version of kde.
With these 2 branches, pdflush will not eat your cpu, I hope.

And then,
- mount /aufs_vertex/mnt/aufs/overlay
- write several things to it directly, eg. no aufs
- "find /aufs_vertex/mnt/aufs/overlay -ls > /dev/null" repeatedly in
  background may be good
- and see what will happen to pdflush.

In /aufs_vertex/mnt/aufs/overlay standalone, pdflush MAY eat your cpu
up. I just want you to make sure.

> But when i start any kde4 application my cpu becomes busy and top shows pdf=
> lush =
>
> with about 99% usage. I've no idea how to debug this. Kde 3.5 works fine an=
> d =
>
> anything else which does not use kde4 works too.

So your good case is
- linux kernel 2.6.2??
- aufs1, last version
- kde3.5 and kde4