Hi J.R.

thanks for your fast response.

> So you have 3 branches in your /aufs_vertex.
> - /aufs_dynamic, rw, tmpfs
> - /aufs_vertex/mnt/aufs/overlay, rw, ??
It's an EXT4 .

> - /aufs_vertex/mnt/aufs/images/10-desktop.squash, rr, squashfs
>
> If you can, please try again without /aufs_vertex/mnt/aufs/overlay, eg.
> /aufs_vertex = /aufs_dynamic(rw,tmpfs) +
> /.../10-desktop.squash(rr,squashfs)
Did that and everything works perfect. So the problem comes with the overlay.

> And run several commands and any version of kde.
> With these 2 branches, pdflush will not eat your cpu, I hope.
Yes, you're right.

> And then,
> - mount /aufs_vertex/mnt/aufs/overlay
Well, it's kinda difficult to do it that way, cos the creation and mounting of
/aufs_vertex is done via /initrc and after the boot It chrootes me into
/aufs_vertex .
I'll do the mounts etc. from within the aufs_vertex which looks like this:

mkdir /mnt/aufs/overlay
mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/aufs/overlay
My dmesg sais:
EXT4-fs barriers enabled
kjournald2 starting: pid 5939, dev sdb2:8, commit interval 5 seconds
EXT4 FS on sdb2, internal journal on sdb2:8
EXT4-fs: delayed allocation enabled
EXT4-fs: file extents enabled
EXT4-fs: mballoc enabled
EXT4-fs: mounted filesystem sdb2 with ordered data mode

> - write several things to it directly, eg. no aufs
Created some files without problems.

> - "find /aufs_vertex/mnt/aufs/overlay -ls > /dev/null" repeatedly in
>   background may be good
> - and see what will happen to pdflush.
while true; do find /mnt/aufs/overlay/ -ls > /dev/null; done
I got about 50% system usage in top but not pdflush or anything.

> In /aufs_vertex/mnt/aufs/overlay standalone, pdflush MAY eat your cpu
> up. I just want you to make sure.
Sorry,  I don't understand what that should do.
# ln /mnt/aufs/overlay standalone
... hard link not allowed for directory..

# ln -fs ,,,
works, but no pdflush load.

# cd /mnt/aufs/overlay; ln -fs foo /root
works, but no pdflush load.

> So your good case is
> - linux kernel 2.6.2??
2.6.28
> - aufs1, last version
the stable one from sf
> - kde3.5 and kde4
Works both.

> and bad case is,
> - linux-2.6.29
> - aufs2
> - kde4

> Am I right?
Correct. FS for /mnt/aufs/overlay was ext4 for both cases. I try an ext3
overlay now, just to make sure.

Cheers Alex

--
Alexander Krause