I have Wine application directories that I need to share read-only
with several users.  Separate directories are used for each
application as they have different Wine configuration requirements
(and to avoid DLL hell with native libs).  The users need to be able
to save their changes independently so each has a rw branch in their
home directory.  The mount points are also in their home directories.
The problem is that the ownership of the files/directories in the
mount points is that of the ro branches.  The only way they can save
their changes is to set the permissions in the ro branches to 666/777
which means they can write to them directly outside of the mount
point.  From reading through the man page and the following posting,
it appears that AUFS doesn't support setting the mount point UID/GID
independently of the branches:
https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=21772475

Is there any plan to add UID/GID setting in the future?  Currently I
have to run everything through CIFS which supports UID/GID setting.
This adds a lot of work as I need a CIFS mount for every user * every
Wine application directory.

rules translate into the virtual world?
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnlfb