On Tue February 8 2011, Jeff Hanson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 2:44 AM,  <sf...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > Users have their own rw branch individually, don't they?
> > chwon makes the file copied-up in aufs. So it never affect other users.
> >

> Tried that.  The result is that the rw branch ends up with the entire
> data of the ro branch.  It seems that aufs copies the entire file to
> the rw branch even if only the ownership changes.  Effectively:
> aufs + chown = cp

That is a property of "inode file systems" - only one location for ownership.
Symbolic link chain at the directory name level -
Hard links are many names-to-single inode - with one location for ownership.

There are file systems (on non-*nix systems) that can "clone" the
"data branch" independent of the "meta-data" - just not under *nix (I.E: Linux).

The "work around" for that inherent property of inode file systems is
the various systems of ACL meta-data.
I.E: What you seem to want is a per-user Access Control List (ACL) that
is created on-demand (rather than the data copied on-demand).

> which eliminates my primary reason for using aufs which is to save
> storage space by eliminating the need to replicate the entire contents
> of the application directory in each users' home directory.

Should not result in the entire directory contents, only the files that
where changed.  And nothing except a rootkit should be writing to executables.

Keep in mind that you don't want to disable the handling of "single use"
restrictions for executables which are licensed that way.
Many commercial programs that can be run with Wine on a multi-user machine
are not (commonly) licensed for multiple concurrent use on a single machine.

A common example is any Microsoft DLLs you let Wine access.  They are almost
always "single use per machine" licensed.

Mike