On 7/03/2016 1:42 PM, Mark Newton wrote:
Protecting the text of a standard under copyright and making it purchasable, is
not the same thing as making the standard unimplementable without paying
license fees, and you know it.

Reputable standards bodies insist on open royalty free patent licensing these
days. The ones that don’t are slowly marginalizing themselves.

Incorrect. I've been involved in the ISO standards writing process for just over 20 years now - including part of the MPEG 4 and 7 standards, so I know it inside out. Reputable standards bodies like ISO have individual IP policy for every specification or group. It is not blanket across the organisation. In the case of MPEG, there is a large patent body pool called MPEG-LA. You cannot implement an open standard without paying license fees for the patents behind. MPEG is very far from being an isolated incident at ISO. There are other completely open standards such as SEDRIS or X3D that require contributors to license any contributed patents for zero cost to all implementors. There's, of course, others in between.

I can write an MPEG implementation which interoperates with everyone else’s
MPEG streams and distribute it in competition with other MPEG implementations,
by following the text of the standard.

No you can't. You can try, but they will come after you, particularly if you write an encoder. That's why alternates like Ogg guys started out - to completely avoid the patents.

--
Justin Couch                                 http://www.vlc.com.au/
Java 3D Graphics Information                    http://www.j3d.org/