On 7 Mar 2016, at 7:58 PM, Justin Couch <jus...@vlc.com.au> wrote:
> So, dragging this back towards the topic again: Can the government mandate
> open specifications that require royalty payments to implement

Um, since when was that the original topic?

We haven’t been talking about mandating of open specifications, except to the
extent necessary to comply with existing consumer law.

Anticompetitive conduct is illegal in Australia. I think FLARM has as case to
answer: Their whitepaper identifies a set of problems they want to solve, and
the specific method they’ve chosen to solve it (encryption, and licensing of
competitors) has the effect of diminishing competition in their marketplace and
erecting a restraint of trade against other companies who might be interested
in fielding products to compete with them. I think they should choose another
method (I outlined one in one of my earlier missives)

Now, I don’t care enough to write a letter to the ACCC about it, but maybe
someone else does. I think it’s worth raising.

Nobody owes FLARM, or any other company trading in Australia, a living. They
don’t *deserve* a profit, but they have every right to try to earn one, by
competing on the same field everyone else plays on.

  - mark