At 10:04 AM 1/17/2019, you wrote:
why not fly with a fwd CoG

I have read somewhere that the CG range offered in the manual still has a safety factor built in, so its pretty safe anywhere forward of 2/3rds back.

Here is an interesting point about CG.

There are two primary ways that the pilot senses lift

1) increasing pressure in the buttocks, lower spine and inner ear by vertical acceleration 2) by a change of the location of the horizon (the tail raises) and the eyes sense the change

The latter is interesting, as the mix of these two will result for some people in a sense lift as push forward or push in the back feeling.

That is because the glider actually accelerates momentarily on entering lift. Draw the diagram and remember that the lift vector is at right angles to the relative airflow. The time constant for this is around 0.5 seconds for a modern ballasted glider so after a bit over a second most of the effect has gone away. Most people are flying attitude and will automatically pull the stick back to maintain the attitude. This results in them feeling like "the tail is being pushed up" as they pull back. If you are turning and the thermal is strong and you are too keen to maintain the attitude you can stall the wing(s), spin and try to kill yourself.

The dynamically and statically lighter the tail is, the faster it will rise (it rises in response to the change of angle of attack caused by the rising air). The faster is rises the easier it is to feel.

A nose heavy CG slows the ‘rise’ response making it harder to feel the lift, this is most prominent when seeking bubbles and lines than big thermals.

Wrong way around. Forward C of G makes the glider more statically stable. I was in Germany in 1988 when the SB13 flying wing glider flew. They were pretty cautious and had a forward C of G and being a wing it had a low moment of inertia around the C of G in the pitching direction. It proved unpleasant to fly like that as it reacted too quickly to up and down gusts so they ran the C of G aft to make the static stability more neutral.

Mike

The diana 2 is know to be able to signal lift very well, this is likely why. (it has very low tail and boom mass, and less inertial and therefore faster to respond)

Richard Frawley
<mailto:rjfraw...@gmail.com>rjfraw...@gmail.com

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children