Date:        Wed, 05 Aug 2020 11:28:45 -0400
    From:        "Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group"
<austin-group-l@opengroup.org>

  | do you consider the pseudoterminal as providing to the terminal, or the
  | terminal as providing to the pseudoterminal.

How did anyone ever get to a question like that?  - there are a pair of
devices which between them implement a pseudo-terminal (which is just
like a terminal, to the application, but isn't one ... hence pseudo-terminal).

Personally I'm quite happy with the existing terminology, and see no
particular need for change (as close to meaningless as the terms are
in this context - they are well established, anything different will
just create confusion).

But if a change is really needed, make it a radical change, and make it
reflect what is really happening, don't try and coerce existing words
to somehow pretend to fit.    None of the suggestions that have been
made here is really adequate.

kre

  • Pseudotermi... Michael Kerrisk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: Ps... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Donn Terry via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... enh via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Michael Kerrisk man-pages via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Oğuz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... casper....@oracle.com via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Michael Kerrisk man-pages via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: Ps... Larry Dwyer via austin-group-l at The Open Group