5 Ağustos 2020 Çarşamba tarihinde Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) <
mtk.li...@gmail.com> yazdı:

> On 8/5/20 7:12 PM, Oğuz via austin-group-l at The Open Group wrote:
> > 5 Ağustos 2020 Çarşamba tarihinde Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The
> Open
> > Group <austin-group-l@opengroup.org> yazdı:
> >
> >>     Date:        Wed, 05 Aug 2020 11:28:45 -0400
> >>     From:        "Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group" <
> >> austin-group-l@opengroup.org>
> >>
> >>   | do you consider the pseudoterminal as providing to the terminal, or
> the
> >>   | terminal as providing to the pseudoterminal.
> >>
> >> How did anyone ever get to a question like that?  - there are a pair of
> >> devices which between them implement a pseudo-terminal (which is just
> >> like a terminal, to the application, but isn't one ... hence
> >> pseudo-terminal).
> >>
> >> Personally I'm quite happy with the existing terminology, and see no
> >> particular need for change (as close to meaningless as the terms are
> >> in this context - they are well established, anything different will
> >> just create confusion).
> >>

> > Couldn't agree more. I don't understand what problem such a change in the
> > terminology is supposed to solve.
>
> The problems have already been widely discussed elsewhere. For a
> summary, see, for example, https://lwn.net/Articles/823224/

I see, but changing well established, concrete terms with barely related,
abstract, far-fetched alternatives just to make a bunch of oversensitive
snowflakes doesn't make any sense (to me, at least).

If this change is going to happen no matter what we say, at least add a
glossary somewhere for us non-native speakers where we can look up what
each nonsensical alternative term actually means, unless you want to
exclude us too, of course.

--
Oğuz
  • Pseudotermi... Michael Kerrisk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... casper....@oracle.com via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Michael Kerrisk man-pages via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: Ps... Larry Dwyer via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Michael Kerrisk man-pages via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re... Michael Kerrisk man-pages via austin-group-l at The Open Group