At 2021-09-06T21:53:17+0700, Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
wrote:
> yash $ cat <<EOF
> > foo
> > E\
> > O\
> > EOF
> foo
> EOF
> yash $
>
> (Sorry, I haven't turned off PS2 in my yash shell setup).   All 3 ash
> derived shells are the same, so probably the original Bourne sh was
> too.

Not as far as I can tell.

$ pdp11

PDP-11 simulator V3.8-1
sim> set cpu 11/45
Disabling XQ
sim> set tto 7b
sim> att rl unix_v7_rl.dsk
sim> boot rl
@boot
New Boot, known devices are hp ht rk rl rp tm vt
: rl(0,0)rl2unix
mem = 177856
# Restricted rights: Use, duplication, or disclosure
is subject to restrictions stated in your contract with
Western Electric Company, Inc.
Thu Sep 22 06:41:32 EDT 1988

login: dmr
$ cat <<EOF
> foo
> E\
> O\
foo
$ sync
$
Simulation stopped, PC: 002306 (MOV (SP)+,177776)
sim> quit
Goodbye

Regards,
Branden

  • shell: swapping v... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: shell: s... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: shell: s... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: shel... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: shel... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: shel... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: ... G. Branden Robinson via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Oğuz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group