Hi Eric, Welcome to the group. Mt. St. Joseph Cemetery is located on Walpert St. In the olden days, you could only reach the cemetery via Second St. Walpert is the street just past the "castle." Now, Walpert runs between Second St and Mission Blvd. This cemetery was begun about 1875 and served the Hayward area for the most part. When I was extracting the record, I heard that because a lot of babies were buried it was sometimes referred to the "Cemetery of the Babies" and that many people from other areas had their babies buried there. I have the records for the most part from the beginning of the burials until about 1960. At the time I extracted the records, there was one more book and I was not allowed to include that book. It is pretty much true that Catholics buried from All Saints Church were buried there until Holy Sepulchre was started in 1937, I think. The cemetery does not have perpetual care so families had to tend the graves themselves. Now, I think the church does some maintenance; however, there has been a lot of vandalism. If you have any additional questions, just email me privately. Celeste, Hayward, CA
Celeste Perry [email protected] --- On Mon, 4/19/10, Cheri Mello <[email protected]> wrote: From: Cheri Mello <[email protected]> Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] St. Joseph Cemetery in Hayward, CA To: "Azores Genealogy" <[email protected]> Date: Monday, April 19, 2010, 10:43 AM Repost for Eric Gomes at gomes.ancestry at gmail.com Hi all, I have belonged to the group for about two months... And I have been reading the messages to try and understand the format before I send out my first reply/email/message... In otherwords I have a lot of questions etc., because my Azorean/Sao Miguel tree goes back three or four generation to the point that we know which boat most of my gg- grandparents travelled to Hawaii on. I am going to start with a question to Celeste. In the message below you mention the St. Joseph cemetery in Hayward. Where is that located?? I grew up in Hayward (and now live in Castro Valley) Thanks, Eric Gomes #yiv244092019 #avg_ls_inline_popup {padding:0px 0px;margin-left:0px;margin-top:0px;width:240px;overflow:hidden;word-wrap:break-word;color:black;font-size:10px;text-align:left;line-height:13px;} -- To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected]. Follow the confirmation directions when they arrive. For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership." -- To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected]. Follow the confirmation directions when they arrive. For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

