I do know about other ports of entry and that "Ellis Island" doesn't
always mean that particular point of entry.

My grandfather himself told me he had entered through Ellis Island. He
also took the train from New York to Oakland with a ticket his brother
Antonio had already paid for. Both the ship passage and the train
ticket were paid in advance by Antonio, who had already settled in
what is now Fremont CA. In fact, my grandfather met this brother for
the first time when he arrived in Oakland, as the brother had left
shortly before my grandfather's birth. My grandfather's buddy
accompanied him on the train to Oakland and was met by his older
brother, who lived in San Leandro.

Alas, anyone else who could confirm the my grandfather's version of
the story is now dead (except, of course, for me!).