From: gfsche...@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 22:05:08 -0800
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Ellis Island records
To: azores@googlegroups.com

Tomas,

Are you 100% sure he did enter through Ellis?

Ship captains interpreted instructions differently.  Perhaps the ship your
grandfather and his buddy was on did leave Faial.  They were together on that
ship.  It docks in New York and the captain has only those exit the ship whose
final destination was New York or nearby.  If your grandfather was interested
in New Bedford or Boston, the captain may have told those people to stay on the
ship, as they would be counted in the final destination port.

I think I got that information from John P. Colletta's "They Came in Ships"
book.  See if your local library has a copy.

Achada