Hi Doug,

You can checkout this other webtrees-based website that boasts a pretty
large DB: http://www.myarnolds.com/

They have 110.000 individuals, and the search seems pretty standard for a
website. Then again, the genealogy program is just a tool. You're the
artesan, so just use the tools you feel are best. Even if everyone else
prefers something else. In my case I wanted something web-based, but I want
complete control of the database. Something like having my private
Ancestry.com website. And that's more or less what I have with webtrees.

The problem of moving between different programs is indeed the lack of a
proper GEDCOM that fits the needs of the individual genealogists. The
current GEDCOM standard (5.5) was created by FamilySearch 18 years ago.
There's talk of designing a 'Better GEDCOM', but I don't see a lot of
enthusiasm there. Until something better comes along, you'll always face
data loss when exporting and importing through GEDCOM.

Regards,

João Ventura