Also, Joseph, the thing to do is keep looking for children of both couples. See if there is anything that would eliminate them as the same people. Look for all godparents and see if any or all are the tios.
Plus, you can see if the names found at marriage are in the ancestry of the parents you found by getting their ages at death. Keep looking for conflicting info to disqualify them. I'm sure you can work it out.
I have certainly seen where one of the two used a different name, but both doing that is far more unusual.
It seems to be your direct paternal line, so you've got to be up to the challenge.
I found something in my own direct paternal line that was very disappointing - the marriage didn't name any parents. But thanks to the uncommon name of the groom, I was able to figure it out. Thanks to the more common name of the bride, I still have no certainty on her parents, but have a tentative guess that will be resolved once I finish tracing all the people in that entire village for that time period. You do what ya gotta do.
Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist
916-550-1618
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist
916-550-1618
---------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Joam da Costa (Might be his birth record
-- can't really read it) Help!
From: JR <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, March 23, 2014 7:00 pm
To: [email protected]
The PG 1736 marriage record does state the father is Antonio Rapozo. As I already said in my private message I also understand. My ancestor Joao da Roia married as Joao da Costa, yet every other record stated his name was Joao da Roia. He never used Costa again. I had a hard time finding him. But his father was clearly Antonio da Roia.Anyway check this record which lists Matheus da Costa and spouse Josepha Pacheco as godparents living in Ponta Garca. This would be right after they married.JRhttp://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-VF-PONTAGARCA-B-1719-1739/SMG-VF-PONTAGARCA-B-1719-1739_item1/P199.html
On Sunday, March 23, 2014 9:46:30 PM UTC-4, Mara wrote:Understandably so, Joseph.On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM, Joseph Costa <[email protected]> wrote:
I just am having great difficulty believing that the marriage record you have for Matheus Correia and Josefa Rezendes is actually my ancestors' marriage record. I still think that their marriage record is lost.
> Joseph, my ancestry membership is now expired.
>
> I'm not sure I understand your note regarding the marriage record for Joao which reades he was wed on July 7-1783. The record states his parents were both deceased and so they were.
>
> Matheus died Sep 1st 1773 and Josefa died May 21st, 1788.
>
>
>
>
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Joseph Costa <[email protected]> wrote:
> Margaret and JR: Here is Joam da Costa's marriage record (my 4th great grandfather). He would be Antonio da Costa de Araujo's brother. Note that both parents (Matheus and Josefa) were dead at the time of this wedding: http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG- VF-SAOMIGUEL-C-1763-1812/SMG- VF-SAOMIGUEL-C-1763-1812_ item1/P185.html
>
>
> On Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:45:13 PM UTC-4, Joseph Costa wrote:
> I think I may have found my 4th great grandfather's, Joam da Costa's, birth record, but I'm not sure. Per my previous post, he is the son of Matheus da Costa and Jozefa Pacheco (also appears as Pachequa or Pacheca). Can anyone read this. In the link below, it's on the right-hand page in the lower right corner. Looks like this is from Sept 1751? I need help verifying that these are in fact the names of the parents on this record. What about grandparents' names? Anyone see those?
>
>
> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG- VF-SAOMIGUEL-B-1751-1758/SMG- VF-SAOMIGUEL-B-1751-1758_ item1/P23.html
>
> --
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

