I use an older version (16) Family Tree Maker. It has a really neat search 
feature, so I stick with it. I type any name, usually two or more without 
any conjunctions like da, do, de, das, dos, etc. and all names with the two 
I selected come up. It allows me to quickly find people who may be related. 
But I also have Roots Magic and it is also very good. I believe Roots Magic 
is actually actually PAF, privatized and further developed by a newer 
company. If you place a backslash (\) before a name, that is where the name 
will commence. For example, as in your case: if you have Matheus as Matheus 
da \Costa, or \Costa Araujo, or \Costa or Araujo, the name will always 
appear with the predominant name of Costa. If you have children with no 
surnames, just place a backslash or two if that is the complete name, and 
it will always appear simply with a first name. If you have a long name 
like, Jose \\Amaral Vasconcelos de Mendonca\\, you can place the 
backslashes where the whole name is outlined as shown.

By the way, I think I may have found another child for Matheus da Costa. 
And this will really make you scratch your head. This time Matheus usues 
the name Matheus de Araujo! And all these names are in their immediate 
ancestry.

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-VF-PONTAGARCA-B-1719-1739/SMG-VF-PONTAGARCA-B-1719-1739_item1/P201.html

PG baptisms- Jozeph, born March 13, 1737 and baptised March 19, filho de 
Matheus de Araujo natural desta igreja de NS Piedade e sua mulher Jozepha 
Francisca de Rezende natural de Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca. 
Padrinhos- Manuel Pacheco Camilha homen solteiro e (Freira) Ma Barbara  da 
Conceicao Religiosa na convento de Santo Andre de Vila Franca

On Monday, March 24, 2014 1:32:35 PM UTC-4, Joseph Costa wrote:
>
> JR,  what program do you use to document your information?  I like how it 
> organizes the information.  Right now, I only use ancestry.com to 
> document my pedigree..
>
> On Sunday, March 23, 2014 12:46:10 PM UTC-4, JR wrote:
>>
>> I am getting confused. No doubt, this is Matheus son of someone named 
>> Costa. However there are others, not to mention that Mateus may fetch his 
>> name from a grandparent with the name Costa.
>>
>> Do I have this right, is your Mateus and Josefa married circa 1750? If 
>> so, this Matheus of 1705 is not likely your ancestor. There are about four 
>> to six marriages missing in Ponta Garca, all circa 1745-1751, more or less. 
>> There is no doubt they are missing because other records specify that these 
>> people were married in PG. They include mine and some of Cheri Melo and 
>> Shirley A. I think your missing ancestors *may* be among the missing 
>> marriages. On the other hand, I reread the baptism of Andre and notice that 
>> Josefa is native of VFSM, so that makes it likely they married in her vila 
>> of VFSM. By the way, Canto is name that is hard to come by. There are only 
>> a few that I know of. Most turn out to be Couto.
>>
>> This is what I have. There may be some errors, as they were very 
>> difficult to read with a small reader at the LDS. But they can be easily 
>> fixed now. Here are children of said couple:
>>
>>  
>>
>> *Descendants of Matheus da Costa*
>>
>>  
>>
>>  
>>
>> *Generation No. 1*
>>
>>  
>>
>> *1.*  MATHEUS DA1 COSTA was born Abt. 1725 in Ponta Garca- NS da 
>> Piedade, and died Bef. 21 May 1777.  He married JOSEFA PACHECO Abt. 
>> 1750.  She was born Abt. 1725 in Ponta Garca- NS da Piedade.
>>
>>  
>>
>> More About JOSEFA PACHECO:
>>
>> Date born 2: Abt. 1725, Vila Franca, Matriz
>>
>>         
>>
>> Children of MATHEUS COSTA and JOSEFA PACHECO are:
>>
>>                    i.    ANTONIA FRANCISCA DOS ANJOS2, b. Ponta Garca- 
>> NS da Piedade; m. ANDRE DA CAMARA PACHECO, 22 May 1777, Ponta Garca- NS 
>> da Piedade; b. Ponta Garca- NS da Piedade; d. Ponta Garca- NS da Piedade.
>>
>>                   ii.    ANTONIO DA COSTA DE ARAUJO, b. Ponta Garca- NS 
>> da Piedade; m. MARGARIDA FRANCISCA, 20 Jun 1779, Vila Franca do Campo- 
>> Matriz; b. Vila Franca do Campo- Matriz.
>>
>>                  iii.    JACINTA DO ESPIRITO SANTO, b. Vila Franca, 
>> Matriz; m. JOSE PACHECO CAMILHO, 21 Mar 1776, Vila Franca, Matriz; b. 25 
>> Mar 1738, Ponta Garca- NS da Piedade; d. Ponta Garca- NS da Piedade.
>>
>>  
>>
>> More About JOSE PACHECO CAMILHO:
>>
>> Baptised: 01 Apr 1738, Ponta Garca- NS da Piedade
>>
>>  
>>
>>  
>>
>> On Saturday, March 22, 2014 11:09:36 PM UTC-4, Joseph Costa wrote:
>>>
>>> Here is the marriage record from May 1701 of Matheus' parents, Antonio 
>>> da Costa and Barbara da Costa:  
>>> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-VF-PONTAGARCA-C-1675-1749/SMG-VF-PONTAGARCA-C-1675-1749_item1/P41.html
>>>  
>>>
>>> I got their names from Matheus' birth record in 1705, which I posted 
>>> previously. 
>>>
>>>
>>> On Mar 22, 2014, at 9:24 PM, JR <[email protected]> wrote: 
>>>
>>> > Maybe I missed something, but how did you determine the parents of 
>>> Mateus da Costa? Do you have the marriage and notice of the parents? 
>>> > 
>>> > JR 
>>> > 
>>> > On Saturday, March 22, 2014 9:06:59 PM UTC-4, JR wrote: 
>>> > Are you looking for the marriage of Mateus and Josefa? If so, 
>>> according to my records they married circa 1750, in either Ponta Garca or 
>>> VFSM. I have three children listed for this couple living in Ponta Garca. 
>>> > 
>>> > JR 
>>> > 
>>> > On Saturday, March 22, 2014 3:47:21 PM UTC-4, Joseph Costa wrote: 
>>> > In addition to not being able to find Joam's birth record, I'm having 
>>> great difficulty locating the marriage record of Matheus da Costa and 
>>> Josefa da Pacheca.   
>>> > 
>>> > Josefa was born in 1714 at Matriz:  
>>> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-VF-SAOMIGUEL-B-1710-1718/SMG-VF-SAOMIGUEL-B-1710-1718_item1/P70.html
>>>  
>>> > 
>>> > 
>>> > Here is her death record from 1788: 
>>> > 
>>> > 
>>> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-VF-SAOMIGUEL-O-1780-1806/SMG-VF-SAOMIGUEL-O-1780-1806_item1/P84.html
>>>  
>>> > 
>>> > 
>>> > On Mar 22, 2014, at 3:41 PM, Joseph Costa <[email protected]> wrote: 
>>> > 
>>> > > SInce I posted this, I have done further research.  My ancestor is 
>>> definitely Matheus da Costa and his wife was definitely Jozefa de Pacheca. 
>>>   
>>> > > 
>>> > > Here is Matheus" birth record from Sep 16, 1705 at Ponta Garca:   
>>> > > 
>>> > > 
>>> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-VF-PONTAGARCA-B-1703-1720/SMG-VF-PONTAGARCA-B-1703-1720_item1/P29.html
>>>  
>>> > > 
>>> > > Here is his death record from Matriz in 1773: 
>>> > > 
>>> > > 
>>> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-VF-SAOMIGUEL-O-1749-1780/SMG-VF-SAOMIGUEL-O-1749-1780_item1/P152.html
>>>  
>>> > > 
>>> > > Also, here is the birth record of his son Andre (Joam's brother) in 
>>> 1753: 
>>> > > 
>>> > > 
>>> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-VF-SAOMIGUEL-B-1751-1758/SMG-VF-SAOMIGUEL-B-1751-1758_item1/P72.html
>>>  
>>> > > 
>>> > > 
>>> > > 
>>> > > 
>>> > > On Mar 22, 2014, at 3:07 PM, [email protected] wrote: 
>>> > > 
>>> > >> Joseph, 
>>> > >> 
>>> > >> How about the fact the baptism is for a child of Matias and the 
>>> mother is not listed with Pacheco/a? 
>>> > >> I have sometimes seen a father listed as Mathias one time and 
>>> Matheus another time. So if your ancestor was Mateus, you can't 100% rule 
>>> out you could find him as Matias, but it will depend on further research. 
>>> > >> 
>>> > >> Do you think this is simply the wrong ancestors and not a sibling 
>>> of your Joao da Costa? 
>>> > >> I assume you know Joam and Joao are the same name. 
>>> > >> 
>>> > >> Doug da Rocha Holmes 
>>> > >> Sacramento, California 
>>> > >> Pico & Terceira Genealogist 
>>> > >> 916-550-1618 
>>> > >> www.dholmes.com 
>>> > >> 
>>> > >> 
>>> > >> -------- Original Message -------- 
>>> > >> Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Joam da Costa (Might be his birth 
>>> record 
>>> > >> -- can't really read it) Help! 
>>> > >> From: Joseph Costa <[email protected]> 
>>> > >> Date: Sat, March 22, 2014 10:16 am 
>>> > >> To: [email protected] 
>>> > >> 
>>> > >> Thank you Doug. I do see what you mean, and I now think that this 
>>> does say Niculao, which means that this is not my ancestor. Still can't 
>>> find my Joam..... 
>>> > >> 
>>> > >> 
>>> > >>> On Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:45:13 PM UTC-4, Joseph Costa wrote: 
>>> > >>> I think I may have found my 4th great grandfather's, Joam da 
>>> Costa's, birth record, but I'm not sure. Per my previous post, he is the 
>>> son of Matheus da Costa and Jozefa Pacheco (also appears as Pachequa or 
>>> Pacheca). Can anyone read this. In the link below, it's on the right-hand 
>>> page in the lower right corner. Looks like this is from Sept 1751? I need 
>>> help verifying that these are in fact the names of the parents on this 
>>> record. What about grandparents' names? Anyone see those? 
>>> > >>> 
>>> > >>> 
>>> > >>> 
>>> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-VF-SAOMIGUEL-B-1751-1758/SMG-VF-SAOMIGUEL-B-1751-1758_item1/P23.html
>>>  
>>> > >> 
>>> > >> 
>>> > >> -- 
>>> > >> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
>>> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the 
>>> right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my 
>>> membership." 
>>> > >> --- 
>>> > >> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in 
>>> the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group. 
>>> > >> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit 
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/azores/xqzNkH3jpaM/unsubscribe. 
>>> > >> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to 
>>> [email protected]. 
>>> > >> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores. 
>>> > > 
>>> > 
>>> > 
>>> > -- 
>>> > For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
>>> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the 
>>> right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my 
>>> membership." 
>>> > --- 
>>> > You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the 
>>> Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group. 
>>> > To unsubscribe from this topic, visit 
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/azores/xqzNkH3jpaM/unsubscribe. 
>>> > To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to 
>>> [email protected]. 
>>> > Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores. 
>>>
>>>

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to