I have never thought of our baptismal certificates as legal documents before. I
love the education that I get from the people on this list!

I will be tuning in for your next tutorial J

From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Dano
Sent: Saturday, May 03, 2014 7:42 AM
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: FW: [AZORES-Genealogy] Ajuda de Bretanha marriage 1729 Mathias
Carvalho and Margarida da Coucellos

Baptismal records are legal documents in that they establish a date of birth by
a duly appointed authority and are signed by witnesses, whereupon they are
certified in the same manner as a birth certificate; as for their order of
standing, they are second only to a notarized birth certificate. This culture
should not be new to you as you are subject to these same requirements here and
now, in any business or legal transaction (did you want a mortgage, or sell
your house, or purchase something with a credit card)?  You need to use your
legal name. The alternative is to sign your legal name and add an "aka" - that
process is cumbersome at best, and it is not always an option for certain
transactions, under the law. As for name changes, they also reguire legal
certification otherwise, you would have to sign documents using your legal
name. One has only to look at present day matters where any person desiring to
change his or her "legal" name must appear before a judge or magistrate and
request such change before the court. (My next tutorial on Law and Contracts
will air in 25 minutes :)