The name of these ancestors is Frias, which was corrupted and became
Farias. The same has happened to this name in almost every village I have
researched where the name exists, circa the period 1800 or after.  Both
Faria and Frias were altered in this way. They sometimes became Farias and
sometimes stayed that way. Back in the time of the mainland Portugal List,
someone explained the culprit for the variations is the difficulty in
pronouncing the r's in certain names.

This same Ferias (just a spelling variant) that Joe cited was married as
Manuel de Frias and this line goes all the way back to Povoacao. See below.

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PV-FURNAS-C-1842-1858/SMG-PV-FURNAS-C-1842-1858_item1/P87.html

Manuel de Frias casou com Antonia de Jesus

There are large concentrations of Faria and Frias in, Rabo de Peixe, Maia,
Furnas, Povoacao, Ribeira Grande, and some in Ponta Garca, Vila Franca,
Lagoa and other places.

JR