>> We "do" VW - www.newgolfgti.co.uk being the latest.

I like this applet but it does illustrate one common problem with flash.
Because it allows designers a great deal of design flexibility they need to
be careful that they create obvious visual cues to the interactive elements
on their page (in the words of Steve Krug, "don't make me think"). In this
case, it is not so obvious what the reader's options are, where they should
click and to what objective. It's not bad - I'm not dissing the applet -
it's just not 'in your face' obvious. I had to concentrate and fiddle my
mouse over the screen to realize I had places to click, and even, at first,
that I was in an applet that allows me to customize a car.

The introduction screen would benefit from rewriting. I'd suggest
eliminating the second paragraph and including the named standard features
in the list to the right thus making it obvious to the reader that they have
a list to fill out. The first praragraph might read simply "Proceed to add
custom features to your new VW Golf >>". Likewise, eliminate the second page
because it doesn't give the user a customizing choice of engines (apparently
there is only one so add it to the list on the first page).

For the following pages perhaps pulsating the size and alpha of the
clickable areas slowly would do the trick of cueing the reader that they can
interact with the elements. I would also suggest that the clicable elements
not be overlayed on complex images as it obfuscates them. They should be
places in isolation on a solid background to delimit them as choice
selectors. The doors selection page and the upholstry selection page in
particular are cognitively fuzzy.

I see this frequently with flash applets. Here's one that a lot of effort
must have gone into, where it's not so obvious that the reader needs to
click at all at first, and if they click on the text prompt that does say
Click Here they miss the main flash interaction altogether. Again, the main
flash interaction is not so obvious at first, pulsating the delimiting boxed
areas might add to the user perception that they can interact with them, and
including a clickable area immediately without needing to scroll to see one
would improve the applet.

http://redlobster.com/homeflash.asp

My point here is that in using the flexibility of Flash, the designer needs
to compensate for the intrinsic cues that standard html provides but which
they are abandoning.

All the Best,
Don