use the google ajax search api, http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxsearch/, you
can search for post codes and it returns a town name and some lat/lng values
- not sure how accurate/precise it is

On 16/11/06, Tom Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

best I can do ,...

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?GridConvert?name=529811,189466&type=OSGrid

On 16/11/06, Dave Cross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've got a couple of hundred full UK postcodes that I want to convert to
> lat/long values. And I thought to myself 1/ Postcoder would be the
> perfect tool to do that with and 2/ when I was working on Postcoder
> earlier this year there was lots of talk about releasing the API as part
> of Backstage. But there were licensing problems.
>
> So I just thought I'd ask if those licensing problems were any nearer to
> being solved and whether the Postcoder API was any closer to being made
> public.
>
> Or, failing that, what other tools do people use to convert postcodes to
> lat/long? It seems to me that the Google Maps GeoCoder object doesn't
> understand UK postcodes.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave...
> -
> Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe,
please visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.
Unofficial
list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk/

visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  Unofficial