On 29/03/07, Richard Lockwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Even 10% is significantly higher than 0.4%

I was using 10% as an upper limit. If the true value was over 5% I
would not be surprised. The next round number above 5% is 10% and over
that would surprise me.

No - this is not evidence.  You're coming up with a series of
hypotheses to fit your scenario - that a significant proportion of
people use Linux as a desktop OS.  This is the same arguing technique
that proponants of Intelligent Design use.  "You can't prove
otherwise, so it must be true."

Maybe I should have phrased what a said differently? Will you allow me
to do so now?

There are possible inaccuracies associated with this metric for
judging Operating System usage. This may cause the number to be
inaccurate so can not be relied on as 'proof' as that would require an
element of certainty. It can been seen as to suggest certain things
however.

There was a very interesting (and to my mind, fairly written) article
in The Register yesterday about installing Linux:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/28/desktop_linux/  (cue
Linux-heads bleating about how he should've used a different distro

Thanks for the cue ;)

PCLinuxOS is experimental, see it's download page. Experimental
technology is not going to work properly. Please use a more stable
system if you want to actually have any kind of meaningful comparison.

In summary, you should not claim statistics as "proof" of something
unless it can be shown that all possible failings in the metric where
accounted for. You have not shown this.

It suggests that the usage of Linux is very low at the time, it does
not _prove_ it categorically.

And I don't need to prove it to be wrong to prove it doesn't prove something.
Remember not being able to prove "A" does not prove "not A"

The truth is probably that know one knows for certain what the usage
of any operating system is.

Incidentally the BBC itself had a story that suggested a figure of 6%.
(lost the link, it was about Dell planing to offer Linux boxes, was on
the front page of the technology news, I will find the link if you
want it)

Oh and before I go you used the term "significant portion", how many
would be considered significant?

Andy

--
First they ignore you