I'm not convinced that when it's all boiled down that torrents/piracy has
much to do with it. People don't [necessarily/always] know when they
download a torrent if there's DRM attached in much the same way as they
don't know if a tarball/zip file is password protected. The content is being
confused with the delivery mechanism here. How would pirated all-new
DRM-free Apple content be different to other pirated DRM-free content from
existing sources?

The reason why the price is higher is because they feel they can charge it;
that people will buy it at that price; and that overall they think they'll
make more money by offering the service than not.

And just maybe they've awoken to the concept that the pirate was
[reluctantly, in some cases] never a customer, and that there are potential
bucks to be made in giving the pirates an option to jump ship. Bad pun
intended.