Hi all,

I am surprised that this thread has pointed so strongly toward the price hike and quality as being risky.
Please let me be concise with some of the facts....
Steve Jobs noted that about 3% of music on all iPods is copied from CD...... CD that is already non-DRM and sold by the major record labels. In the penultimate two years, the biggest selling albums have sold about 10 million copies each worldwide, down to 6 million in 2006. Seeing that probably over a hundred different albums are released per month in the UK and US, the chance of a new recording being successful enough to make the charts in future is pretty slim on CD sales alone..... if you look at the amount of new artists in the UK chart during any one year, I would be surprised if there were a crossover of upwards of ten percent in to the mainstream.

With this in mind, the major record labels are making pretty large investments in new product, which is cross collateralised from profit on their own successful artists. If one looks at the piracy issue, the biggest "loss" was through illegal copying of CD by industrial duplicators. The RIAA and others could average their losses by looking at the illegal manufacturing, in the physical sense. They then put their stall out by going after "high profile" sharers..... mostly youngsters, as a way of changing public opinion..... as well as trying to stop the real pirates with criminal legal action. The relationship between the Majors and its public has been fraught for a long time, in my opinion since W.H.Smith was included in to the fold of record shops only selling what the Majors wanted them to, back in the late eighties when it was all about a monopoly on physical distribution. The top five lost much of their customer loyalty and as such the internet, and copying, was the perfect reply. From way back then, EMI was parodied as "Every Mistake Imaginable" within the recording world..... which if you look at some of their failures was pretty true. I think that Steve Jobs has defined a market and it has taken a lot of persuasion to get the Majors involved....... illegal file sharing will be eventually seen for what it was all along, a smokescreen covering the fact that the major record companies completely lost the plot at the beginning of the nineties. Now they have evidence to support legal downloading as a relevant revenue source. There is still a huge market for high quality music and recordings, with sample rates better than CD on the horizon.... this is hopefully the beginning of that new market. With almost 0% manufacturing and distribution costs in comparison to a physical CD, they will surely make more money, not less, and EMI's share price will hopefully reflect the u-turn in policy. For my ten pence, I would rather pay for a proper legal product than any of the crunched mp3 files that I have heard. In future I would even pay double the present license fee to watch BBC TV on my laptop worldwide through the net..... and I hope to, eventually. One of the most exciting parts of all of this entertainment is the growth and realtime connection within society as a result of TV schedules, tours, and album releases..... across the board perhaps that has a value that is lost when the control of the distribution of ideas is lost, as has been seen due to concentrating on negative issues instead of the positives.

Remember that Thriller sold 40 million copies in its first chart run......... and for all the losses, CD sales haven't done too badly, still, it is time for a change.

http://zobbel.de/stat/uksales_a.htm

Download sales increased by 65% in 2006, but in the UK digital albums are still only 1.4% of the overall album market. In the singles market, where all this is being promoted, 79% of the 65.1 million sales in 2006 were from legal downloads. A quite astounding statistic is that CD sales, for many reasons, fell by 20% in the US in the first quarter of this year compared to last..... perhaps CD has finally had its day .... and now we can begin to enjoy larger files with better quality. Blueray at 96Khz with DTS for example, but then who wants a physical copy?

On the other hand, perhaps Apple and EMI are crazy......... the evidence would suggest that they both have far to go forward, and at least they are willing to give it a go. At £15 an album, if the quality is good and the product is free of DRM, then I will certainly buy it. I hope that they achieve the success that the artists need in promoting their products, in a way that sounds as good as possible.
RichE