On 30/07/07, Christopher Woods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> With regards to EULAs, I think we all saw from the Sony DRM 'incident' that
> EULAs have been ruled virtually unenforceable. I'm prepared to seed content
> I've downloadd whilst it's downloading, and maybe seed it for a little while
> afterwards, but I'm much less generous than when I'm torrenting because the
> content will always be available from the BBC servers, and we are paying for
> this service after all.
>
> Here's hoping that the BBC takes onboard the suggestions from people like me
> with regards to the ability to control whether your client seeds content
> once you've downloaded it... Here's hoping the Kontiki client can actually
> be configured to do so!
>
> I foresee ISPs enforcing QoS for upload data from Kontiki so that it slows
> to a crawl as a way around this... But that won't be after a whole load of
> huge bills from providers to customers, along with the associated uproar and
> a few months of in-circles discussion as to how the best way to proceed to
> counter-act this unwanted behaviour will be.
>
> Maybe the Beeb WILL just drop Kontiki eventually and do what BBC America is
> doing, using Vuze as their CDN and just keeping the DRM backend for the
> geoip authorisation? (as has been mentioned before)... It's starting to look
> more and more like that viable solution for the interim!

So far my graphical network monitor & traffic stats show iPLayer only
uploading while actually downloading, & using circa 70% upload
bandwidth. Perhaps it's been set to a 'semi-p2p' where the client
machines support the BBC servers by uploading only during actual
downloads.

My guess is that when evening comes it may become more active (it's
supposed to be 'dynamic') - if the BBC servers start to struggle we
may see heavier action.

Very little info on Kontiki - owned by Verisign, duh. Wayback Machine
is overloaded right now - can't look at their earlier sites heh heh,
I'll try that early in the morning.

I'm a big Azureus fan - not tried Vuze, essentially a skinned & DRMd
AZ2.5 with tweaks hidden but available:
http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Azureus_2_and_Vuze

Azureus 2.5 has binaries for Win/Linux/MAC/BSD but Vuze is Win only
d/t DRM I guess.

Regards,
Nico Morrison
__________________________
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype: nicomorrison
__________________________
-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please 
visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  
Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

Reply via email to