> > >My point?  it's not always as easy to take an off air broadcast and put
> it online.
>

> I see you've never tried Myth TV, my box is in the process of being built,
> the only thing stopping me is cash for my ridiculesly over-specced box; not
> difficulty. Plucking signals straight out of the air and onto a hard drive
> isn't hard with multiple DVB-T & DVB-S cards. Hardware prices are only
> coming down, and building a box with 2 * 500GB drives 6 DVB-T and one DVB-S
> tuners (with room for expansion) etc. won't be as expensive or difficult in
> a couple of years.

Agreed. But such automation have been technically possible for several
years and I've been surprised that it's had no impact on TV piracy
here or abroad.

I've commissioned several generations of such multi-channel DVB -> Web
systems both inside and outside the BBC. Started off using Myth then
dumped it cos it was too clunky. Latest version dumps indexed flash
video to Amazon S3.

http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/et2007/view/e_sess/10186

A rather sweet xvid version (backend by the amazing Dom Ludlam, web
front end by the equally mercurial Phil Gyford ) ran during 2005
inside the BBC firewall, offering all BBC TV programmes transcoded
real time from DVB-T to xvid using commodity *nix kit.

I demo'd this version (BBC Macro) to the BBC Executive Board and Board
of Governors in 2005 to show them what was inevitably coming down the
line.

However, the industrialised TV piracy of free to air TV isn't *yet* a
problem - as I said, the capping is still done by hand, and so only a
tiny minority of UK programmes get pirated.

I do agree that it's probably going to come sooner rather than later,
so long as the broadcasters download offerings remain separate and
thus of limited appeal.  But it does suggest that demand for on demand
TV onto a PC isn't as vast as was the case for music, since some
enterprising pirate would surely have industrialised & automated the
whole end to end DVB -> .torrent process by now.

And when it *does* comes I'm willing to lay a small bet that the "see,
DRM is pointless" (it is) argument will be drowned out by a loud lobby
of rights holders demanding that the BBC encrypts its broadcast
signal.

But I'm sure we're all well-versed in the arguments as to why the BBC
broadcasts in the clear in the first place, aren't we? Aren't we?