The relevant part of the Copyrights and Patents Act 1988 (as Amended) is
here:

http://www.jenkins.eu/copyright-(statutes)(1)/part-1-copyright-.asp#s73

It all boils down to the definition of 'cable' and 're-transmission by
cable'.  Interestingly the Act does not say 're-broadcast' by cable, it
doesn't say it has to be in a partciular format (DVB-S or analogue PAL, for
example) and does not state that it has to be a 'broadcast' (many to one)
just a 're-tranmission'.

It also says that 'ee-transmission by cable include the transmission of
microwave energy between terrestrial fixed points' which seems to cover
wireless internet in my book...

2008/5/13 Robin Cramp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> From a user perspective viewing content in this way is great, it provides
> another source of viewing; more importantly online. I would think from a
> broadcaster perspective there is a sense of split view on the subject.
> Broadcasting the stations as is gives them an extra level of exposure, not
> to mention the advertisers too. Although from a content owner perspective
> there is the age old issues about copyright. I personally think that it will
> be the rights owners that will have the biggest say in whether Zattoo should
> continue in their current model, rather than the broadcasters pushing for
> change.

Please email me back if you need any more help.

Brian Butterworth

http://www.ukfree.tv - independent digital television and switchover advice,
since 2002