A blog reader does not replace all the things people buy a newspaper for in my
criteria. If it did, Newspapers would be dead already, but there is more to it
than this. If anything, reach and growth of newspapers on the internet is
growing so you won't get to dance on their grave that easily. News
International spent £650M on new presses last year...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/mar/17/pressandpublishing.rupertmurdoch

...clearly they are idiots. If only someone had told them about the internet.

It is obviously a time of great change for Journalism. By newsroom colleagues I
didn't mean to imply just the BBC, I meant friends and contacts in newsrooms
across the globe who all have interesting stories to tell and face various
challenges. The BBC is funded differently to many of these, but I can assure
you UK, US and other newspapers all have plans. They are not packing up all the
desks and switching off the lights; they are looking at how they adapt and stay
relevant.

You did actually predict gleefully the demise of the middleman, the aggregator,
the editor, whatever you like to think of the Newspaper infrastructure as, and
I think this is something that is not certain. If you don't want this then no
one will force you to have it, but others do want it.

I would say the recession is having a more acute effect than the internet.
Without ad revenues, there are funding issues. Worth thinking about newspaper
economics...

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2008/12/newspaper_economics.cfm
"There's an old saying that you'll never understand newspaper economics until
you understand why newspaper vending machines are designed so that you can take
as many papers as you like for your quarter. Newspapers are, first and last,
devices for delivering ads to readers. "

Many would say that this is more likely what is bringing this issue rapidly to
a head. In an environment where huge organisations can collapse, it's no
surprise newspapers are feeling the effects.

Striving for independence is not new to this field either. There is a long
tradition of independent journalists, freelance reporters and photographers and
it's nothing new that people have been trying independent models:

http://agency.magnumphotos.com/about/about
http://www.journalism.co.uk/12/articles/51787.php

In a more direct move to deliver to the audience, an independent group such as
the workers cooperative behind City Limits might be another interesting model
of relevance, and it was not the internet that brought about it's existence or
demise ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Limits_(London_magazine).

Of course with these models there is still organisation and infrastructure.
Someone pays the bills. Someone is exerting editorial control. If you want a
(quality) picture of an event, someone has to be there and some poor pictures
from a phone camera are not a replacement. This type of content is used where
relevant.

If you feel that the Journalistic community is full of people trying to subvert
the truth, espousing mis-information, I dread the day that a billion
unaccountable blogs replace them. I'd pay for something in between and that
might likely be the Newspapers in a different form. I don't think I will be
alone.

To use another quote from the link above...

"For a while now, readers have had the best of both worlds: all the benefits of
the old, high-profit regime--intensive reporting, experienced editors, and so
on--and the low costs of the new one. But that situation can't last. Soon
enough, we're going to start getting what we pay for, and we may find out just
how little that is."

Cheers,

jod (...this is my personal opinion only of course...)