I would venture to add it's even worse for print journalists, who
generally speaking in the past had a stressful day to make deadline
then time off was time off.

Nowadays, print journalists covering a beat are often expected to file
online from wherever they are if there is breaking news in their
sector.

I myself am less worried about the number and volume of newspapers
(after all, New York supported over twenty "penny dailies" in the 19th
century), and more concerned with how journalists will make a living.
There is a great advantage to open space newsrooms: cub reporters
learn from the grizzlies.