Kevin Charman-Anderson wrote:

> But Dave, taking a swing from the barricades at the profiteering
> publishers sounds lovely but it comes close to ignoring the pain and
> economic dislocation that journalists are going through at the moment.
> We're not the only ones hurting in this recession, but reporters are
> going to have difficulty replacing their income in this recession from
> their previously full-time jobs with a totally digital model that is
> still in the making.

Stockholm syndrome for the people who didn't pay journalists on time or
for the submitted word count under the old model won't help with these
facts.

If we have to live in capitalist society then we have to listen to the
market. And the market says that some writers can make a living from a
dedicated readership, advertising, sponsorship, merchandise and
subscriptions.

Pretty much the same as for the newspapers that town criers and local
gossips couldn't compete with...

- Rob.