I can't leave that comment unchallenged, Dave.

To summarise then, the "bastards in the newsroom" should go get another job to
pay the bills so that they can support their journalism in their spare time,
sort themselves out and learn up about internet marketing and the brave new
world.

Seriously? I'll pass those thoughts on to my journalistic colleagues, but I
don't think that is the future.

What will emerge will be based on many factors that are tricky to predict, but
the process of change is a bit clearer. What people like about Newspapers will
govern the positive moves, the forward thinking changes, and technology will
accentuate those thoughts.

For example, thinking about printed Newspapers, people like to read the news on
the way to work. When a digital model effectively replaces the simplicity of
accessing Journalism in a printed form, in a varied and moving environment like
travelling to work then these people will stop buying newspapers. It's a
wasteful and expensive way to get the news anyway.

Will this mean that the Guardian or other newspapers stop printing their
content on paper? Maybe. It doesn't mean they cease to exist though. Some
people just want the facts. Some enjoy the editorial stance of a paper and the
detailed opinion and featured editorial viewpoints. Some just want Page 3. Some
just want the crossword. There are many reasons why people buy a Newspaper and
there is no doubt Newspapers will need to adapt, but their death is not a
certainty.

Think about who buys a Newspaper and why. Maybe many of us here are not the
target audience anyway, even before the internet provided an alternative
distribution model.

I like Brian's suggestion of Times TV and Sky News in a newsroom mash-up. The
thought has not passed them by entirely, though they offer different types of
journalism and are also governed differently in their public accountability...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/may/12/thetimes.bskyb

The pressure of change is immense, but the inertia is also a powerful force and
it's always useful to remember that TV did not (yet) kill Cinema and Video did
not kill the Radio Star.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtHEmVjVw8

Enjoy before YouTube takes it down as the old and new models collide
elsewhere...( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7942045.stm
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7942045.stm>  )

Of course, though people may stop wanting to pay for Newspapers, Metro has
proved you can distribute the physical newspaper for free. On my commute it is
quite hard to get to work without reading Metro...

There is a new exciting model out there that will deliver content of interest
and preference to me, my favourite journalists packaged, what my social network
likes and reinforce my own biased viewpoints. And works on the train. And
challenges my thinking on a Sunday afternoon with a mass of thought provoking
features and ideas carefully brought together.

Not found it yet.

Well played Mr Shirky. Promoting Journalism through the discussion of it's
death...

Cheers,

jod