> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 09:57, Stuart Clark <stuart.cl...@jahingo.com>
> wrote:
>> [I know such information doesn't help for open source projects, but it
>> would be interesting to know the level of the monetary/contractual bar
>> people wanting to do things officially, and what effect doing so has on
>> their products]
>>

> If they did it right then it would be a help (of sorts) to Open Source
> projects and everybody would be happy. All that's needed is a website
> where there's a form that includes an all import "I agree to the terms
> and conditions" tick box and then everyone who uses an open source
> project could individually get their own tables.
>
> This would be pretty much identical to how a lot of Open Source
> projects that connect to Web Services that need a developer API key
> work.

Equally depending on any costs/restrictions a company could offer a closed
binary plugin for some OS projects [depending on licensing restrictions on
plugins] which can be sold to the public - for example how some non-open
audio/video codecs are.

But that of course would only work if the costs were reasonable (it isn't
going to work if it would cost £1 million a year as the market for OS
sales would never cover that cost) and the restrictions are compatible (if
the license for the tables/info has requirements which would be impossible
to implement as a plugin for video player X)