On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:42, Mo McRoberts <m...@nevali.net> wrote:

> only for those people who *actively* use open source. doesn't help at
> all with open source stacks embedded in consumer-facing products.

I doubt it would matter much with embedded systems. I can think of three cases -

1) The company involved doesn't release the source, even though
they're obligated to (which is still worryingly common) - then they
just include the tables in their product (so no different from a
closed source system)

2) The company release their OS components, but the 'secret sauce' is
a closed source app - again, they just include the include the tables
in their product like a closed source system.

3) The company's embedded system is entirely open source - on the
device they include the tables, in the source tarball they don't but
include instructions along the lines of "Download the tables from the
the BBC website and unzip them into /src/resources/epg-tables".

Scot