On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:12, Scot McSweeney-Roberts
<bbc_backst...@mcsweeney-roberts.co.uk> wrote:

> 2) The company release their OS components, but the 'secret sauce' is
> a closed source app - again, they just include the include the tables
> in their product like a closed source system.

actually, that's not a bad approach with respect to the tables
themselves: /tmp/eit-decoder.sock

the snag is in what conditions the tables are licensed under - because
we're not just talking about a license for the tables themselves, but
conditions which apply to the whole device which must be adhered to in
order to use those tables (enforceable or not, I know not - but who
wants to take the risk?)

if they say "no user-modification of the device shall be permitted",
but the license for the software includes anti-TiVoisation clauses,
then that's a problem - irrespective of whether the tables or the
decoder app are open or closed.

without seeing what the terms say in full, it's impossible to know
whether there's a workable solution. there are lots of "this might be
okay if you work around it in *this* manner" or "this might cause
serious legal problems", but there are very few sureties (except for
the fact that somebody has to do the legwork to figure all of this
stuff out, which comes at a nonzero cost).