On Jan 31, 2012, at 5:10 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Kimball Larsen <quang...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We are a small office (6 employees) with a mixture of windows and mac
>> machines sitting on desks.  I have set up a server (Ubuntu linux) that has
>> been happily running backuppc for several years handling backups for all the
>> machines in the office with grace AND style.  We love it.
>>
>> However, in the last few months some of the users have noticed that when
>> backuppc is running a backup (incremental or full - does not seem to matter
>> which) it can have a serious impact to the performance of their local
>> machine.  Stuff comes to a crawl and they are nearly unable to work because
>> simple things like switching from one application to another starts to take
>> several seconds, etc.  The machine behaves like it is hammering swap space
>> and thrashing for memory.  At least one user reports this goes on for
>> several hours (and I confirmed that his latest incremental took 119 minutes
>> to complete).
>>
>> All the machines affected in this way are wired to the gigabit network (not
>> wireless), and I'm using rsync for the transfer method.  The users with the
>> complaints are all using OS X on late model high-end MacBook Pro laptops.
>>
>> Is there anything I can to to have the backups run in a more transparent
>> manner?  We are not all that concerned with speed of backup process - we're
>> all here all day anyway, so as long as everyone gets a backup at least once
>> a day we're happy.
>
> Are you using any 'scan on access' type of virus protection?  That
> would be odd for a Mac, but I think there are such things.
Nope, no realtime scanning stuff at all.
>  Do any
> have local time machine backups that might be included?

No, time machine is on external drives, specifically excluded from backups.

> Or
> directories with very large numbers of files?

This I can check on.  What is considered "very large numbers of files"?  More
than 1024?  More than 102400?

> I think the rsync at
> each end will keep a copy of the whole directory tree in memory while
> both ends walk and compare contents. Normally this would be very fast
> on incrementals where it doesn't do more than the directory check for
> files that match but the list might be big enough to swap to disk.

Hmm.. Does it produce a copy of the whole directory tree for each backup
location?  If so, would it be beneficial to split up the backups such that
instead of telling it to backup
/Users/myusername/  I explicitly list each of the directories in my home:
/Users/myusername/Documents/
/Users/myusername/Library
...etc?

Thanks!