On 2012-02-01 08:32, Kimball Larsen wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2012, at 5:47 PM, Steve wrote:
>> check the "nice" level during the backup (on the client) and see where
>> rsync is running.  If it's the same as the other user processes, maybe
>> change the $Conf{RsyncClientCmd} to include a nice level?  I know that
>> is suggested here:
>> http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/ssh.html
>
> Ah - this looks to be exactly what I'm looking for.  I figured I could
> probably nice the rsync command, but didn't know exactly where to find the
> correct syntax.

Damn, others beat me to it. For Mac OS clients, I use:

$Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = '$sshPath -q -x -l root $host /usr/bin/nice -n 19
$rsyncPath $argList+';

Nice helps CPU priority, but it does nothing for disk IO. So for Linux
clients, I use:

$Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = '$sshPath -q -x -l root $host /usr/bin/nice -n 19
/usr/bin/ionice -c 3 $rsyncPath $argList+';

Regards,
Tyler

--
"I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it."
   -- Edith Sitwell