On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Kimball Larsen <quang...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>  Do any
>> have local time machine backups that might be included?
>
> No, time machine is on external drives, specifically excluded from backups.

It might be worth checking that the excludes work and the links that
make it show on the desktop aren't being followed.

>> Or
>> directories with very large numbers of files?
>
> This I can check on.  What is considered "very large numbers of files"?  More
> than 1024?  More than 102400?

It would be relative to the amount of RAM available - probably millions.

>> I think the rsync at
>> each end will keep a copy of the whole directory tree in memory while
>> both ends walk and compare contents. Normally this would be very fast
>> on incrementals where it doesn't do more than the directory check for
>> files that match but the list might be big enough to swap to disk.
>
> Hmm.. Does it produce a copy of the whole directory tree for each backup
> location?  If so, would it be beneficial to split up the backups such that
> instead of telling it to backup
> /Users/myusername/  I explicitly list each of the directories in my home:
> /Users/myusername/Documents/
> /Users/myusername/Library
> ...etc?

Each 'share' is processed in a separate run.  It will only help if the
number of files really is a problem.   I always add --one-file-system
to the rsync args to avoid accidentally walking into nfs mounts or
external drives or DVDs that might be mounted.   If you do, be sure to
add shares for everything you need.

     lesmikes...@gmail.com